I am opening a small and cozy fine dining restaurant overlooking the golf course. The program gave me a better idea of what it means to work in the kitchen. I also learned and got acquainted with building menus, I know how much work goes into it.
Kul IN alumni come from all over the world; their backgrounds and levels of culinary experience differ but in the end, they find their place under the culinary stars and create their unique path to fulfillment. The Kul IN alumni Tobias Neumann had worked as a marketing expert specializing in Germany's machine-building industries for decades but 25 years ago, something sparked his imagination, and his love for culinary arts was born. After some time of deliberation, he enrolled at Kul IN, where he got to experience life in the professional kitchen and got acquainted with all complexities that go into building fine dining menus. Read the story and get a scoop on his background, culinary mindset, and new business venture - a fine dining restaurant.
Kul IN: Can you tell us more about your culinary journey? When did you become interested in food preparation?
- Culinary Arts entered my life as a possible career about 25 years ago when I had a chance to make a home story about some very popular chefs in Germany and France.
I did marketing for industrial companies, mainly for the German machine-building industry. Many young people are entering the marketing business, the pressure has increased and I decided to follow my true dream now!
Kul IN: Why did you choose Kul IN?
- The program suited me duration-wise, 2 months is ideal, plus it is easily accessible by car since I am from Germany. I also liked that all the lectures were in English. I was thinking about studying in Spain or France but I don't know the languages.
Kul IN: What are your expectations after the program? How will it help you advance your career or achieve your goals?
- I am opening a small and cozy fine dining restaurant overlooking the golf course. The program gave me a better idea of what it means to work in the kitchen. I also learned and got acquainted with building menus, I know how much work goes into it.
Kul IN: What has been your favorite lesson?
- Fish was very interesting and risotto. I was not a fan of risotto before, however, I have seen how to prepare the right way and how nice it can be, so I started to like it!
Kul IN: What motivates you?
- I am motivated by the idea of having my freedom, and doing things I love doing. It would also be great to make some money in the process.
Kul IN: How would you describe your style of cooking?
- I love modern techniques.
Kul IN: Three qualities of every good chef?
- A good chef should be aware and in control of all the processes in the kitchen, he or she should be able to lead the team, and last but not least, the good chef needs to have excellent cooking skills.
Kul IN: Advice for future Kul IN students?
- It is a good place for people who don't have much experience. They can learn the basics and learn how to make great dishes with basic knowledge.
3 months after completing the Culinary Arts program, Tobias opened his beautiful restaurant.